Cooking is a creative expression of love for most families. When I cook, I want really good recipes that my family will enjoy, and won't stress me out at supper time. My goal is for time spent in the kitchen to be memorable teaching moments with my kiddos... full of love, laughter, and great conversation! At the same time, the kids are learning to prepare meals and learn a little math in the best school they could attend... our kitchen! Let's get cookin' and share some recipes! :)
UPDATE:
I am turning this blog over to my sweet Emma who will share some of her recipes for kids. Welcome, Emma! :)

Monday, December 10, 2012

Cast Iron Skillet Onion and Honey Cornbread


This is Lil Ole Me in my apron & in the kitchen... making a fab supper for a fab Hubby! :)

Speaking of Hubby, when we married, he had 3 fundamental rules for marriage:
No lyin', cheatin', or wearin' Muu-Muu's.

Well... things sure do change as we umm, mature.
 
 
I got myself some Muu-Muu's!!
From SEARS!!!
hahaha!! Talk about "mature".
(Don't worry Hubby, I promise not to break the other rules!) ;p


In the kitchen...
My wonderful Step-Dad got me a cast-iron skillet for my birthday.
LOVE IT!

I had wanted one for so long & this one is already seasoned!!
Perfect.

I clipped this recipe by Alicia Ross from the newspaper.
MMmmm!
Twas as yummy as it looks!
(Recipes like this are why (wo)man invented the MooMoo! ;p)

Onion and Honey Cornbread in Cast Iron Skillet: Preheat 400 degrees
2 Tb vegetable oil, divided use
1/2 c. thinly sliced yellow onion crescents
1 c. plain yellow cornmeal (not cornbread or meal mix)
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tb baking powder
2 eggs
2 Tb butter, melted
1 1/4 c. milk
1 Tb honey
*I am adding Sweet Jalapeno's*

Coat 9-inch cast-iron skillet with Tb of oil, covering the bottom and sides well.
Add onion & drizzle remaining oil over onion & toss to coat.
Spread onion pieces to cover the bottom of skillet & place skillet in a cold oven.

In medium bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, & baking powder. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, milk, and honey.

When oven is preheated and onions are beginning to caramelize, carefully remove the skillet and set aside.
Pour wet ingredients into dry & stir just until mixed, about 15 or 20 strokes.
Pour batter into hot skillet, smooth top and carefully place in oven.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly golden & springs back when touched.
Remove, allow to cool 5 minutes.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your sweet comment or yummy recipe here!